Saturday, June 12, 2010

Oplan Ondoy

It has been raining lately. While walking in the streets of Makati, I noticed that people were wearing jackets and had umbrellas. Yes, this is the "winter" season for Filipinos where they have a reason to wear their winter clothes. But anyway, this isn't what this post is all about. While walking, I had the chance to reflect on what happened last year's rainy season. Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana, international name) submerged Metro Manila in just a mattter of hours. I was at the office doing my mundane yet sometimes exciting work. At around 5:00 pm, I checked the news online and there it was. Photos around the metro were being posted by everyone. People waiting for rescue on top of their roofs, cars crashing to one another because of the flowing flood. When I went home, I had to walk 3 blocks because the flood in our area was waist level and cars couldn't pass through. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declared a "state of calamity" for the areas of Luzon. For days, television and newspaper headlines would be about Ondoy - the damage it brought, the actions of the government about it. I was watching the news and there they were, hundreds of people homeless. Where was I? Home, at the third floor of our building, drinking a hot cup of Milo, warm, safe. At that moment I just felt that I had to do something. For starters, I pledged a portion of my salary to the victims of the typhoon. But It wasn't enough. I wanted to be in the front. Amer Mitmug, a friend of mine for 13 years, said his office, Al-Amanah Bank under Development Bank of the Philippines together with Metro Rail Transit Corporation, will be conducting a relief mission for families affected by Ondoy in Marikina City. I gladly said that I wanted to join and help in any way. On the morning of October 3, 2009, I met Amer and Maharlika Alonto, my cousin who also works at Al-Amanah Bank, at McDonald's Katipunan and together we went to the relief site. It was at the vacant lot at the foot of Tumana Bridge in Balara, Quezon City.


Boy holding a pack of relief good and a bowl of hot "lugaw".

At the relief site, we met their other co-workers Jack Darimbang and Nas Abdullatif. The operations started at around 8:00 am where we distributed over 500 relief packs that contained a blanket, canned goods and instant noodles. First aids and basic medicines were provided by the medical team. A feeding program was also conducted for around 2,500 individuals. Ondoy's total damage was estimated at $100 million and brought at least 464 deaths. I couldn't really say if this was a fulfilling experience because I knew there were still many who needed help. I am no Bill Gates where I can share my wealth to the many. Nevertheless, I hope that in the future, I can once again help to those who are in need in times of disaster.


Amer, Jack, and Nas


My cousin Maharlika, the one in front

Facts and figures:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Ketsana
http://www.devbankphil.com.ph/News/news_full.php?articleid=00455

No comments:

Post a Comment