Tuesday, July 5, 2011

More Seconds to that Shutter!

Long exposure is my first love in photography. I read somewhere that most of the beautiful photos involve long exposure. That is why after upgrading my lens, the next thing I bought was a tripod. It is a must if you would like to try long exposure so that your camera is stable. According to wiki, long-exposure photography entails using a long-duration shutter speed to sharply capture the stationary elements of images while blurring, smearing, or obscuring its moving elements.

In easier terms, long exposure means that the "eye" of the camera stays open longer than the usual shots. At least that's what I tell my friends. For this reason, the camera is able to capture the movements of the subject in a single photo. The results can sometimes be magical. If you would like to try this out, I would suggest that you go out during the magic hour and stay there until night falls. Find interesting subjects such as moving vehicles w/ lights. Of course, long exposure photography is not limited to night shots only. Some professional photographers use this method (with the help of graduated filters, don't let me explain more on that) in landscapes as well to create surreal and breathtaking photos. Here are samples of my long exposure shots w/ their corresponding EXIF (Exchangeable image file format) data in the following order: ISO, focal length, aperture, and shutter speed.

ISO 100 18mm f/8.0 0.8sec

ISO 100 24mm f/8.0 2.0 sec

ISO 100 22mm f/8.0 10. sec

Not a long exposure? Actually it is. It was very dark and I used the flash light of my phone to paint light on the subject. ISO 100 62mm f/5.3 20.0sec

ISO 400 42mm f/11 25.0 sec

This is a sample of how other photographers use long exposure for landscaping. However, I don't have filters like they do (expensive) so that's why I just decided to make this shot in black and white. ISO 100 18mm f/8.0 10.0sec

No comments:

Post a Comment